1. Peking duck at the Celestial Restaurant in Taipei. Best.In.The.World.
2. Getting answers from divination stones at any Buddhist temple
3. Eating at one of the many quirky cafes in Taiwan – Hello Kitty for dessert anyone?
4. Driving through the misty, cloud covered mountains of central Taiwan
5. If you like seafood, then Taiwan is the place for you. (I don’t, but that’s ok)
6. Learning about Taiwan’s indigenous cultures at the excellent National Museum of Prehistory in Taitung
7. Looking out across Taipei from the top of the skyscraper Taipei 101
8. Experimenting with new foods that look strange, but are almost always excellent
9. Enjoying a peaceful bike ride through the rice paddies of Chishang
10. Trying to enjoy traditional Chinese Opera courtesy of the Taipei Eye Foundation
11. Being pampered at any one of many luxury hotels around the country.
12. White water rafting down the beautiful rivers found around the island
13. Walking through the somber but stunning grounds of Memorial Hall Square in Taipei
14. Slurping down refreshing winter melon tea on a hot day in Tainan
15. Getting used to the idea of roasted sweet potatoes as a snack
16. Steaming hot dumplings at Din Tai Fung
17. Seeing what’s hot in Taipei’s trendy Ximending district
18. Chewing Betel nuts – would you try it?
19. Trying your hand at surfing – no, really!
20. Spending the day in the forest learning about the customs of Taiwan’s indigenous peoples
21. Trying to figure out the love affair with Hello Kitty. It’s everywhere and I don’t get it.
22. Marveling at the treasures found in the National Palace Museum
23. Immersion in eco-tourism at the Paper Dome in Taomi
24. Enjoying a thermal spa near Sun Moon Lake
25. Stocking up on pineapple cakes and mochi balls to take home as presents
26. Lunching on a traditional lunch box in a railroad car in Chishang
27. Going back to the Celestial Restaurant for more Peking duck. (It’s that good)
28. Discovering quirky little shops on Shennong Street in Tainan
29. Discovering the quirky delight of eating tea eggs
30. Mango shaved ice – enough said
31. Being taught all about the fine art of drinking Oolong tea
32. Sitting on the grass enjoying local bands at the Taitung night market
33. Trekking through the insanely beautiful Taroko Gorge National Park
34. Smelling the heady aroma of camphor trees as you walk through Da’an district in Taipei
35. Getting up early to learn the finer points of Tai-chi
36. Marveling at the combination of beliefs in temples around Taiwan
37. Hiking through the jungles of the Central Mountain Range
38. Learning your Chinese name and then having wooden stamps made with the characters
39. Biking around beautiful Sun Moon Lake
40. Getting around the island easily and quickly via high-speed train.
41. Learning more about the Dutch influence in Taiwan’s first capital, Tainan
42. Dinner at any night market anywhere in the country.