Last year I read the memoirs of a man so unique that his life story reads like a James Bond novel. In his book Safari, Geoffrey Kent, the debonair founder of the luxury tour company , details a life of hard work but also incredible success. He was (and is) a man on a mission, to provide guests with the best travel experiences they could possibly imagine. More than make me pine after a dream trip around the world, it was deeply inspirational. We all have our passions in life, but so few of us take the real initiative to bring those dreams into reality. Geoffrey Kent did that and more, and his book encouraged me to look at my own life and see how I too could find new ways to succeed both professionally and personally.
That’s why I was so honored when Abercrombie & Kent reached out to me last year about working together on a trip to highlight not only their unique style of luxury travel, but to share what their very real passion for exploring and making the world a better place means in practice.
Friday I will fly with Turkish Airlines in their world-famous business class from Washington, DC to Mt. Kilimanjaro Airport in Tanzania (via Istanbul) to embark on a week-long private safari around some of Africa’s most famous and surely most beautiful parks, reserves and savannas. I’m excited to showcase what I think an ultimate luxury safari in looks like, from the airline used to get there, to the tour provider and hotels. Everything is designed to provide a luxurious adventure, but also an active one. Here’s a brief look at what I’ll be seeing and doing during my remarkable experience.
Flying with Turkish Airlines
I’ve long wanted to fly with the award winning carrier Turkish Airlines and I’m excited for this first flight with them not only because of their legendary service, but because I’ll also be able to test out their product. Some features include:
- Restaurant quality food with chef
- Extra-long lay flat bed
- Plenty of entertainment options
- Access to the legendary Turkish Airlines lounge in the İstanbul Atatürk Airport
I’m excited not only for the comfort, but for the luxury of arriving into Arusha, Tanzania as well rested as one could possibly be.
Abercrombie & Kent Tanzania Safari
Once I arrive into Arusha and am met by my Abercrombie & Kent , I’ll be transported to my hotel where I have a full day to rest and recover from the travel and time change. It’s a nice and easy start to the trip, which begins in earnest the next day. My trip is what Abercrombie & Kent calls Tailor Made travel, which are private tours just for one person, a couple or even a family that wants to travel together. In my case, it’ll just be my partner and I along with our guides as we discover the beauty of the Tanzanian wilderness. These experiences are perfect to fine tune a trip to your exact specifications and see and do more than would ordinarily be possible in a given time period.
Instead of providing a day by day itinerary of the trip, I want to share some of the many highlights of this extraordinary journey.
- Drive through Tarangire National Park, centered on the Tarangire River this park has expansive views with wide panoramas of wooded savannah stretching in every direction.
- Safari drive through Ngorongoro Crater, a UNESCO World heritage Site and one of Africa’s most fascinating wildlife areas.
- Special animal experiences, such as a picnic lunch near hippo pools and watching the Great Migration of the wildebeests.
- Full day experiencing the best of Serengeti National Park, a protected animal refuge since 1929.
- Private and unexpected activities, from hot air ballooning to remarkable opportunities to see some of Africa’s most beautiful animals in an intimate setting.
A big part of the safari experience is where you stay, and Abercrombie & Kent works with the best accommodations in Tanzania. Not only are they the best in the country, but many of them rank amongst the best in the world and I can’t wait to experience them for myself.
Sanctuary Swala Camp – All of the where I’m staying are Luxury Tent experiences. Abercrombie & Kent was the first to pioneer this concept and believe me, this is unlike any tent you’ve ever seen. I can’t wait to share my experiences with them and show you the high level of luxury even in the most remote locations. Swala is in the heart of Maasai country and a remote corner of the Tarangire, in total seclusion amongst giant acacia trees and looking out beyond the flat savannah. This is a very exclusive safari experience indeed.
Sanctuary Ngorongoro Crater Camp – Located in the Ngorongoro Crater rim valley, this camp provides guests unrivaled access to the crater floor. From there I’ll see everything from zebra and buffalo to hippo, lions and elephants.
Sanctuary Kusini Luxury Camp – The only permanent camp in the unspoiled and remote southern part of the Serengeti, it overlooks the plains where game sightings are common all year round. It’s also an ideal place to see cheetah and wildebeest that congregate on the grassy plains.
– Routinely named one of the best hotels in the world, this isn’t your typical lodge – it’s an experience. From hot air ballooning to game drives, there’s a lot to see and do here. Also featured is their unique Discovery Centre, part museum and part interactive experience, it’s where guests can learn about the wildlife, history and people of the Serengeti. Add to that the legendary food, service and quality of Four Seasons and this is guaranteed to be an experience I won’t soon forget.
Journey With Me
This obviously isn’t your average trip; working with these amazing travel providers will be the African safari experience of a lifetime. More importantly, I’m excited to share these experiences to show that no one can provide the level of care and service like and while it may be my first travel experience with this legendary provider of luxury travel, I am certain that it won’t be my last.
Please follow me on this journey, because it’s much more than a trip, as I share as much as I can (WiFi permitting) on , and and also be sure to look out for the hashtag #AKTrip and follow the Abercrombie & Kent social media accounts as well including , and .
If you have any questions or want to know more, please leave a comment!